Starting a business is always the fun part: Coming up with an idea, building an online store, and imagining all the things the business will become once it takes off. But without marketing knowledge, driving traffic and making sales can become an entrepreneur’s biggest hurdle on the road to success.
I find that a lot of my clients aren't prepared for the marketing stage after their site goes live - no matter how often we discuss it before and during the site build! Having a site ready and live feels like a great milestone and only after a week or two without many sales does the frustration set in.
It's not just about being online, it's about getting people to your site! There are so many channels available now that it can be overwhelming trying to decide where to focus your efforts.
- Send an email newsletter to your list telling them the site is now live! (Don't have a list?? Oh boy, it's time to start building one.)
- Put a link in your email signature to the new site and don't be afraid to add a note for the first few weeks that lets people know it's new.
- Get your social media strategy ticking along so that you can gain traffic from your social profiles.
- Consider setting up an Adwords campaign to run for the first while until your site is starting to rank well organically.
- Watch this free video course showing you how to make your first sale using Facebook Ads. Covering everything from brand differentiation to pixel placement to campaign optimization, watch this series and learn all about getting some sales on your site! It's provided by Shopify (the ecommerce platform I build with!) so some of the content will be specific to that platform but the principles are the same.
Join me next week for the next set of videos in the course!